Saturday, August 3, 2019

Topps Chrome & Teen Age Riot

Listening:  Sonic Youth Daydream Nation

The first Saturday of college football is a mere four weeks away.  Four weeks.  This will be the 140th season of Michigan football.  My Michigan-Michigan St. ticket arrived a couple of weeks ago.  My brother-in-law is holding a Michigan-Wisconsin ticket for me.  I'm trying to convince my wife to let me take our daughter out to Ann Arbor for a game.  The three of us went as family to a game in both 2016 and 2017.  Last year didn't work out as my wife was pregnant.  I was in the grocery store yesterday and after checking out I walked by the magazine rack with its college football previews.  One had Michigan as #5.  I just don't see it.  They lost some talent off that defense and the offense has wilted time and again against good competition.  I think 9-3 is a realistic projection for Team 140.

Today's lone package is my second trade with TCDB member Driver8k and consists solely of football cards.  2018 Prestige set builders kicks things off:

Followed by some Michigan football additions:

The trade concludes with some Bama football additions:


As with many Saturday mornings I found myself out running an errand in the vicinity of our local Target.  I noticed earlier this week that Topps Chrome was released so I stepped into Target hoping to find some in stock...

As luck would have it, they had a few blasters in stock.  I forgot how much I like Topps Chrome.  So disappointing that Topps is not in the basketball business as Finest, Stadium Club, and Chrome rank among my all-time favorite offerings.
I pulled some stars of 2019 for Owen's collection:

This includes a McNeil Prism Refractor.
I pulled a handful of base rookies I will hold onto for now:

We'll see if any of them pan out.
I am placing the remainder of the cards, including three inserts and two parallels, on my For Trade list:


I also picked up a Chronicles hanger box as I have become quite fond of the set.  To this point I have been very lucky in pulling some strong rookies and only a handful of duplicates.  Something had to give eventually - of the 30 cards in today's only 13 go toward building the base set:

While there are only 13 cards here I did manage to pull Luka and Ayton rookies, as well as my second Obsidian.  Not too shabby.
Three green parallels were included in the box:

The Green Marquee pops nicely.
The remaining fourteen cards are all duplicates of base cards and will be available on my For Trade list:

No comments:

Post a Comment