Sunday, February 17, 2019

Card Show Visit & Jordan's

Listening:  to our daughter play Barbie's

This morning I dipped into the pack stash and opened one fat pack of 2018-19 Hoops.  Why not?  I actually needed four of the RCs in the pack for my set so that was nice:



The four inserts included these three keepers:



And the fourth was a Giannis I didn't have yet!



The remaining base cards have been posted on my For Trade list:



There was a card show at the local mall this weekend.  I couldn't make it out there yesterday as we had swim lessons, lunch, shopping, and a movie.  The local theatre finished its recent run of classic animated films with Beauty and the Beast.  So let me get this straight - Beast imprisons Belle's father for the heinous crime of stealing a rose.  Belle then comes to the castle and takes her father's place as Beast's prisoner; forever.  If ever there was a recipe for true love...  I headed over to the mall today and checked out the show.  They typically hold only three shows a year, usually Feb, Apr, and Oct.  The shows are a challenge for me as the primary focus is vintage baseball and Packers; two areas in which I have no interest.  With the rise of Giannis and a couple of strong rookie classes recently, basketball offerings have picked up a bit.  Football offerings are pretty solid, while hockey is virtually non-existent.  The second table I visited had a good sized box of football RCs I perused.  I even managed to find a couple 1989 Score I needed.  For $5 I picked up five cards.  Manningham, Toomer, and Woodson for the Michigan collection, and Taylor & Rison for the 1989 Score set.  I commented to the dealer how pleased I was to find some key RCs for the 1989 Score set I'm building and he comes back with a sharp looking Aikman he had tucked away. 



I poked around at the other tables but nothing really grabbed me.  Walked away from using only one $20 bill.  Sure, a bigger haul would have been nice, but I am really happy with the three 1989 Score's and Woodson RC.

I never go to the mall.  On the way out of the mall though I walked by Foot Locker and had to pop my head in just to see.  The Infrared 6's came out yesterday.  I had those in high school... sophomore year I believe... MJ's first title.  Girl comes up and tells me from here to the door all shoes are 25% off today.  "Does that include these three columns of Jordan's?"  "Yes."  I grew up with Jordan's.  I had the original red and black 1's as a fifth grader.  Had various other pairs through junior high and high school.  I care nothing about fashion and labels, but I am still a sucker for Jordan's.  You know what happened next...

2 comments:

  1. 1989 Score was such a great set, and it contained one of my favorite rookie classes ever. For an overproduction era set, it's amazing to think how long those rookies held their value's, they've obviously come down in price over the years, but some of them still sell for a lot more than pretty much any other cards from the same era.

    ReplyDelete