Saturday, March 9, 2019

30,000 and Ramble On (cue Robert Plant...)

Watching:  Georgetown vs Marquette on Fox

This Mac McClung kid for Georgetown is fun.  He even had a segment on Le Batard.  Pretty cool.

Big college hoops night.  Back-to-back top ten match-ups on ESPN tonight; Duke-UNC and UM-MSU.  UM can clinch a share of the regular season conference title with a win.  My expectations are low going in after the lackluster showing they put forth two weeks ago against Sparty in A2.  And the Bucks play tonight as well.

Our daughter has been up before 5:00 each of the past two mornings.  I have gotten used to functioning on an average of less than seven hours of sleep as I'm usually pulling cards for trades after everyone has gone to sleep, but my wife...  Ultimately, I find myself tiptoeing around two increasingly cranky girls.  Fortunately, both are napping right now so I have ample time to ramble on for a change.

Kobe told the world that Ben Simmons needs to develop a jump shot.  Duh.  Simmons has never hit a three...right?  (Googling...)  Correct!  basketball-reference.com is a helluva site.  Young fella's only 22; he'll get there.  I think of Magic, Michael, Jason Kidd, HOFs who developed an outside shot over the course of their career.  Simmons is already a unique talent; imagine if he could hit one three a game.  Giannis has worked at it, and while no one will confuse him with Craig Hodges (dated reference), he has hit 36 this season.  If players had to move up a step or two to honor Simmons as a shooter, he'd be an insane force.

Two packages in the mail today; one trade and one eBay purchase.  First up, my first trade with TCDB member John5150; a PWE basketball swap.  I received six Kobe's, two Shaq's, and an Antoine Walker toward sets:



The eBay purchase is a little disappointing.  It's a Webber MEM, so that's good, but the card pictured in the listing had a white piece and the card I received has a black piece.  I already have a copy of the card with a black piece so I really wanted a different color.  After all, the crazy goal is to own a copy of every Webber card and variation.



And then to add insult to injury he included three soccer cards!  I hate soccer.  I'm not going to get into a debate on this because there is no changing my mind.  These are now up on my For Trade list:



I keep a spreadsheet in which I track my trade history.  One of the pieces of data I track is the total cards included in each trade and then keep a running total  I noticed that yesterday's trades pushed my total past 30,000.  In less than twelve months more than 30,000 cards have exchanged hands.  That's kind of mind boggling.  Thanks to everyone who has been a part of those 30,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment