Saturday, June 29, 2019

2018-19 Panini Chronic (what?) cles of Narnia

Listening:  Jimmy Buffett A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean

Summer has finally arrived; hot and humid today.  Perfect day to crack open a cold one and listen to some Jimmy Buffett.  I attended my first Buffett show at Alpine Valley in the summer of 1996.  It was an absolute blast.  A group of us would make the 30 minute drive up each summer to tailgate and attend the show.  The cast of characters in the group changed from year-to-year, but its core was three of us who went to high school together.  The tailgating grew little by little to the point where we took our own large inflatable pool, and the water to fill it, one year.  We had run the streak to 18 straight shows when scheduling conflicts arose; life.  It's been three or four years since I last went to a show.  Jimmy's move to country music and slapping "Margaritaville" on countless products jaded me, but I still carry fond memories of those Parrothead days and enjoy listening to the old Key West stuff.

I watched several 2018-19 Chronicles breaks on YouTube.  (Yes.  I watch breaks on YouTube)  It's an amazing product!  My favorite for 2018-19.  Seeing cards from Gala, Luminance, Marquee, Phoenix, Studio, etc. in one offering... I'm left speechless.  I would love to get some of these but entering a break doesn't make much sense as the set focuses on rookies, heavily, so as a Giannis/Bucks collector it doesn't really offer much for me.  In looking through the checklists I don't even see any Giannis hits or even inserts so the only cards I could get as hits are Donte rookies.  Probably not worth it.  Maybe a random team break...

I was out and about running a couple errands this morning and found myself down the road from Target.  I stopped in and picked up a couple of Stadium Club packs for Owen's collection:

I mentioned yesterday how I miss Finest basketball.  Well, I also miss Stadium Club basketball.  I saw a post this morning regarding some of the excellent photos used in this year's Stadium Club edition.  Panini doesn't offer base cards like these.  I'm tempted to pick up a couple more packs and open them for my collection.  And there are Chrome parallels?!?!  I'm even more tempted now.

Today's lone package also goes in Owen's collection.  I picked up a Yelich Gypsy Queen insert on eBay:


Good God.  The Yanks-Sox game is still on?!?!  What a way to introduce the Brits to MLB.

2 comments:

  1. Does this year's Chronicles even have a base set? I like the concept overall, but it's still too expensive for the amount of cards you get for my taste. I nabbed the cheapest card I could find on COMC to get the 2017-18 set into my collection, ending up with a Jawun Evans blue parallel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a small veteran base set; typical Panini. Nothing inspiring, but slightly more appealing than last year's.

      Delete