Wednesday, January 16, 2019

COMC - Part 1 (Sets)

Watching:  Bucks vs. Grizzlies on Fox Sports Wisconsin

Received one package in the mail - a box from COMC!  Basically, this was my Xmas gift to myself.  This package includes cards purchased as far back as August or September I believe.  The contents of the shipment can be broken into three groups, the first of which is tonight's focus - sets.

I purchased only two hockey cards, but they met a goal as they completed 1991-92 Upper Deck - Award Winners Hologram set.  These hologram cards were so cool back in 1991 and they still are today.



Next up on the set docket - baseball.  I picked up the three biggest cards in the 1983 Topps set (Sandberg, Gwynn and Boggs).  I also nabbed a biggie from the 1984 Topps set (Mattingly).  A 1986 Donruss Brett brings me within two cards of completing that set.  The two 1986 Bonds cards completed those respective sets.  While the three 1987 Fleer cards completed that set.  I had all of the 1986 and 1987 cards as a kid but somewhere along the line I traded or sold them.



Football is up next.  I continue to chip away at the 1984 Topps set.  The addition of eight cards, including the likes of Marino and Dickerson, bring my completion rate up to 84%.  I vow not to rip this Marino RC to shreds!  With these 1985 Topps additions I am now just two cards away from completing that set.



I am also two cards away from completing the 1986 Topps set after receiving five cards.  The Jerry Rice completed my 1987 Topps - 1000 Yard Club set.  My 1989 Pro Set set is almost complete after finally getting Barry Sanders.  And finally, four key 1989 Score RC additions. 

 

And the night concludes with basketball.  When I resumed collecting my first goal was to complete the 1986-87 Fleer set.  After accomplishing that I set my eyes on the 1987-88 set.  One card has alluded me sever since and I finally got it - Larry Legend.  I also picked up Hakeem and Kareem to complete my 1987-88 Fleer - Stickers set.  Hey, master set!  I picked up the 1988-89 Fleer - Stickers Jordan.  Always nice to add Michael to the collection.  Still need two more to complete that little set.  The two 1990-91 Fleer - All-Stars round out that set.  I now have both the All-Star and Rookie Sensation sets for that year.  Seven cards away from completing the 1992-93 Fleer set after getting the Jordan.  Added a couple of Grant Hill RCs to the 1994-95 Stadium Club and Ultra sets.



And then finally, I purchased the final ten cards I needed to complete the 1994-95 Finest set.  I love Finest so anytime I can finish a set I am very pleased.



That's enough for tonight.  Tomorrow's second part of the COMC trilogy will be a little "freaky".

Set completed - 1991-92 Upper Deck - Award Winner Holograms (Hockey)
Set completed - 1986 Donruss The Rookies (Baseball)
Set completed - 1986 Topps Traded (Baseball)
Set completed - 1987 Fleer (Baseball)
Set completed - 1987 Topps - 1000 Yard Club (Football)
Set completed - 1987-88 Fleer (Basketball)
Set completed - 1987-88 Fleer - Stickers (Basketball)
Set completed - 1990-91 Fleer - All-Stars (Basketball)
Set completed - 1994-95 Finest (Basketball)

1 comment:

  1. These are some awesome additions! I didn't realize you were also working on the 1986 Topps football set. I just started it about four months ago (bought the Jerry Rice RC for my birthday and figured I had the hard part out of the way. Thanks to help from TCDB members like you, I'm at 52% of it now!

    ReplyDelete