Friday, January 11, 2019

Giannis-less Bucks and Four Packages

Watching:  Bucks vs Wizards on Fox Sports Wisconsin

Sadly, Giannis is sitting out tonight's game.  I'm not a fan of this "resting" trend.  The basketball of the 90s was far more physical than today's game - hard fouls, fights, etc.  Jordan would routinely get pummeled by the Nasty Boy Pistons and the Knicks (McDaniel, Oakley, Mason...).  Did he take the next night off to lick his wounds?

Busy day today - four packages in the mail.  Two trades with TCDB members with whom I had yet to trade, and two eBay purchases.  Let's roll...

Leading us off, my first trade with TCDB member EddieLeon (Kerry).  The whole lot consisted of 1984 Topps baseball cards.  All of Kerry's cards were in terrific condition.  I never thought much of this set as a kid, but it has really grown on me.  Completing baseball sets from my childhood (1983-1991) is one of my collecting goals so these cards certainly help:



The second of my two trades was my first with TCDB member hafengr (Gregory).  I received baseball, basketball, football and hockey cards.  As a collector of all four big sports I love multi-sport trades.  It creates more opportunities and greater flexibility in drafting trade proposals.  The sole baseball cards were a lot of 1983 Topps.  The first cards I got as a kid were 1983 Topps baseball and football, so these two sets hold special significance.  I really like this design - probably one of my favorites from the 80s.  The cards I received were in great shape - not always the case with 1983s I have learned:



The bulk of this trade was devoted to basketball cards that go toward filling holes in some 90s sets:



The trade rounded out with five football cards and two hockey cards.  One football card goes toward the 1984 Topps set, while the other four are headed to the Michigan collection.  The two hockey cards will be split - one goes to Michigan while the other goes to the Blackhawks collection.



All in all, two very productive trades.

On to the two eBay purchases.  The first was a single card - Malcolm Brogdon 2016-17 Spectra MEM insert.



The second eBay package was from a break 2018-19 Revolution I participated in last week.  There are so many sets released each year, about one a week it feels like, that it's impossible to buy a box of each set.  I try to participate in a break for each set in hopes of scoring a Giannis hit.  I always bid on the Bucks.  Unfortunately, this Revolution break didn't yield anything major.  I got a Giannis base card and insert to go toward my Giannis collection, and a Middleton parallel SN100.



Giannis collection additions - 2
Michigan Wolverine collection additions - 5 (Football: A. Branch, B. Griese, M. Hart, T. Wheatley -- Hockey: A. Ward)
Blackhawks collection - 1 (E. Belfour)

No comments:

Post a Comment